Fairmount, Georgia is a small town located in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. The population of Fairmount is just over 1,000 people. The town has a diverse population, with many different ethnicities and backgrounds represented. The geography of Fairmount is mostly rural, with rolling hills and forests providing a beautiful backdrop to the city. The climate in Fairmount is mild, with temperatures rarely reaching extreme highs or lows.
The history of Fairmount dates back to the early 1800s when it was first founded by European settlers. Over the years, it has become a thriving community with an economy based on agriculture and small businesses. Politically, Fairmount is conservative leaning but also open to progressive ideas.
Fairmount has several schools including elementary schools, middle schools, high schools, and universities. It also has many recreational facilities such as parks and playgrounds for children to enjoy. There are also several churches in the area where people can gather for worship or fellowship.
One of the most popular landmarks in Fairmount is Old Mill Park which features a historic mill from 1854 that was used by local farmers for grinding grain and other purposes. There is also an old-fashioned general store nearby where people can get ice cream and other snacks as well as souvenirs from their visit to Fairmount. Other notable landmarks include the historic courthouse which was built in 1883 and still stands today as well as several churches that are over 100 years old.
Population: 745. Estimated population in July 2020: 785 (+5.4% change)
Males: 361 (48.5%), Females: 384 (51.5%)
Zip code: 30139
Median resident age: 38.6 years
Median household income: $35,893
Median house value: $66,700
Races in Fairmount:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.9%)
- Black (3.2%)
- Hispanic (1.2%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
Ancestries: United States (27.0%), English (17.9%), Irish (7.8%), German (1.7%), French (1.3%), Scotch-Irish (1.3%).
Elevation: 758 feet
Land area: 1.2 square miles
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Fairmount, Georgia has a population of 1,898 people living in the area. The city is made up of mostly white individuals with a total of 1,743 white people making up 91.6% of the population. African Americans make up 5.3% of the population with 101 individuals, and 2 individuals are listed as being from two or more races. Fairmount is also home to a small Hispanic or Latino community that makes up 1.9% of the total population with 37 individuals. There are 794 households in Fairmount, with an average household size of 2.37 people per household. The median age in Fairmount is 38 years old and there are about 602 families living in the city with an average family size of 3 people per family unit.
For population 25 years and over in Fairmount
- High school or higher: 66.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.0%
- Unemployed: 9.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 33.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Fairmount city
- Never married: 20.0%
- Now married: 61.8%
- Separated: 3.4%
- Widowed: 7.7%
- Divorced: 7.2%
0.3% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +112 (+17.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Fairmount:
- GORDON HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; CALHOUN, GA)
- MOUNTAINSIDE MEDICAL CENTER (about 20 miles; JASPER, GA)
- NORTHSIDE HOSPITAL CHEROKEE (about 20 miles; CANTON, GA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Fairmount:
- RICHARD B RUSSELL (about 32 miles; ROME, GA; Abbreviation: RMG)
- DOBBINS AIR RESERVE BASE (about 40 miles; MARIETTA, GA; Abbreviation: MGE)
- LOVELL FIELD (about 54 miles; CHATTANOOGA, TN; Abbreviation: CHA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Fairmount:
- TOM B. DAVID FLD (about 17 miles; CALHOUN, GA; Abbreviation: CZL)
- PICKENS COUNTY (about 18 miles; JASPER, GA; Abbreviation: JZP)
- GILMER COUNTY (about 18 miles; ELLIJAY, GA; Abbreviation: 49A)
According to andyeducation, Georgia has the following colleges and schools:
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Fairmount:
- KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY (about 29 miles; KENNESAW, GA; Full-time enrollment: 9,589)
- LIFE UNIVERSITY (about 37 miles; MARIETTA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,881)
- SOUTHERN POLYTECHNIC STATE UNIVERSITY (about 37 miles; MARIETTA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,559)
- CHATTAHOOCHEE TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 37 miles; MARIETTA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,012)
- GEORGIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 51 miles; ATLANTA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 13,841)
- NORTH GEORGIA COLLEGE AND STATE UNIVERSITY (about 51 miles; DAHLONEGA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 3,119)
- CLARK ATLANTA UNIVERSITY (about 51 miles; ATLANTA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 4,652)
Public primary/middle school in Fairmount:
- FAIRMOUNT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 510; Location: 130 PEACHTREE STREET; Grades: PK – 05)