According to homethodology, Bayard, Nebraska is a small town located in the southwestern part of the state. It has a population of approximately 1,500 people. The geography of the area is mainly flat plains with some rolling hills and several small rivers running through it. The climate is generally mild and temperate with hot summers and cold winters.
Bayard has a rich history that dates back to the 1800s when it was first settled by settlers from Germany, Switzerland, and France. The town was officially incorporated in 1885 and has been an important agricultural center ever since. In addition to farming, Bayard also has a thriving manufacturing industry with several factories producing furniture, clothing, and other goods.
The politics of Bayard are primarily conservative, as it is located in a very rural part of the state. In terms of education, there are two elementary schools in the town as well as one middle school and one high school. All schools are highly rated by locals for their quality education programs.
The economy of Bayard relies heavily on agriculture but also includes manufacturing jobs that provide employment for many local residents. There are also several small businesses located within the town which provide services such as restaurants, banks, gas stations, hardware stores, grocery stores and more.
One of the most notable landmarks in Bayard is the historic courthouse which dates back to 1891 and is still used today for county court proceedings. Another popular landmark is Elkhorn Creek which provides excellent fishing opportunities for locals and visitors alike during certain times of year.
Population: 1,247. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,155 (-7.4% change)
Males: 596 (47.8%), Females: 651 (52.2%)
Zip code: 69334
Median resident age: 40.1 years
Median household income: $30,500
Median house value: $47,400
Races in Bayard:
- White Non-Hispanic (82.6%)
- Hispanic (15.9%)
- Other race (6.7%)
- Two or more races (1.3%)
- American Indian (1.2%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (37.3%), Irish (10.0%), English (9.8%), United States (6.7%), Scotch-Irish (3.4%), Swedish (2.9%).
Elevation: 3760 feet
Land area: 0.7 square miles
Bayard, Nebraska is a small town located in western Nebraska. With a population of just over 1,000 people, Bayard is an inviting and family-friendly community. The town has a variety of recreational activities and attractions that make it a great place to live. The cost of living in Bayard is below the national average, making it an attractive option for those looking to move to the area. The median home value in Bayard is $94,000, with the median household income just under $40,000 per year. There are also several housing options available for those looking to rent or buy property in the area. Additionally, there are plenty of job opportunities in Bayard due to its close proximity to larger cities such as Scottsbluff and Gering. This makes it easy for residents to commute from one city to another for work or entertainment purposes. In addition, there are many local businesses that offer services such as restaurants, shopping centers and grocery stores. These businesses provide excellent employment opportunities for those who wish to stay within the town limits while still having access to all the amenities of larger cities nearby.
For population 25 years and over in Bayard
- High school or higher: 71.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.0%
- Unemployed: 7.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Bayard city
- Never married: 17.2%
- Now married: 58.9%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 11.5%
- Divorced: 10.5%
4.7% Foreign born (4.3% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +3 (+0.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Bayard:
- MORRILL COUNTY COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; BRIDGEPORT, NE)
- REGIONAL WEST MED CENTER (about 25 miles; SCOTTSBLUFF, NE)
- BOX BUTTE GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 43 miles; ALLIANCE, NE)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Bayard:
- WESTERN NEB. RGNL/WILLIAM B. HEILIG FIELD (about 20 miles; SCOTTSBLUFF, NE; Abbreviation: BFF)
- ALLIANCE MUNI (about 42 miles; ALLIANCE, NE; Abbreviation: AIA)
- COLORADO PLAINS REGIONAL (about 110 miles; AKRON, CO; Abbreviation: AKO)
Other public-use airports nearest to Bayard:
- KIMBALL MUNI/ROBERT E ARRAJ FIELD (about 47 miles; KIMBALL, NE; Abbreviation: IBM)
- SIDNEY MUNI (about 52 miles; SIDNEY, NE; Abbreviation: SNY)
- TORRINGTON MUNI (about 61 miles; TORRINGTON, WY; Abbreviation: TOR)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Bayard:
- CHADRON STATE COLLEGE (about 76 miles; CHADRON, NE; Full-time enrollment: 2,144)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTHERN COLORADO (about 134 miles; GREELEY, CO; Full-time enrollment: 10,983)
- AIMS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 138 miles; GREELEY, CO; Full-time enrollment: 3,722)
- METROPOLITAN STATE COLLEGE OF DENVER (about 158 miles; DENVER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 12,938)
- UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO AT DENVER (about 158 miles; DENVER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 8,839)
- UNIVERSITY OF DENVER (about 158 miles; DENVER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 7,592)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF DENVER (about 158 miles; DENVER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 3,352)
Public high school in Bayard:
- BAYARD SECONDARY SCHOOL (Students: 235; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Bayard:
- BAYARD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 219; Grades: PK – 06)
Library in Bayard:
- BAYARD PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $23,427; Location: 509 AVENUE A; 12,613 books; 335 audio materials; 246 video materials; 45 serial subscriptions)